In honor of the Southern Author Event next year in Greenville, NC that I am out-of-my-mind-excited about I decided to jot down a few things that scream "I'm a GRITS!!" No, not the delectable corn-based breakfast option found in every kitchen below the Mason Dixon line, but Girls Raised In The South! Also known as southern belles.
Now you may be asking yourself - how do I know if I'm a southern belle? First of all - if you're questioning your southern belle-ism, then you probably need to brush up on your southern belle etiquette. So, check out my Top 25 "You might be a southern belle if you:" list!
You might be a southern belle if you:
1. Were told every day of your childhood to ‘act like a young lady’
2. Know where ‘over yonder’ is.
3. Have a high appreciation for pearls and sundresses
4. Your middle name is Anne, Grace, or Lynn
5. Know how to use ‘bless her heart’ in twelve different contexts.
6. Want a guy who goes hunting with your daddy and brings flowers for your mama.
7. Have shot a potato gun
8. Understand the importance of a good pedicure
9. Calculate distance in minutes, not miles.
10. Have perfected the art of being a damsel in distress to get what you want
11. Have been given a handmade blanket. Every Christmas.
12. Family reunions require renting out a park
13. Know there is no such thing as ‘tea’. It is and has always been ‘sweet tea’. Don’t get it twisted.
14. Spend all week putting together your GameDay outfit.
15. Own something Vera Bradley
16. Don’t get mad, you get even
17. Always ready to entertain and all parties must be themed or they aren’t worth having.
18. Own a pair of cowgirl boots for each day of the week
19. Can drive a stick shift, change a tire, and do a burn out…in heels.
20. Know every word to Sweet Home Alabama
21. Made lightning bug earrings
22. Have five generations worth of silver
23. Know what ‘silver’ is
24. Know you're worth waiting for.
25. Believe the war’s not over…it’s just halftime.
Have any to add to the list? Leave a comment and let me know!