Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Ghosts of Kristen's Past


So, I was watching all of the TV shows that are trying their best to scare the pants off of their viewers with stories of the most haunted places in America or the scariest urban legends.  Then I saw three trailers of scary movies that are coming out in the next couple of weeks.  I felt my ears perk up as a shot of adrenaline ran through my heart and a goofy grin spread across my face.  There's nothing better than a good scary movie that terrifies you to the point of disillusioned fears that hang over your mind for a week or two. I get many, many strange looks when I try to explain that I love to be scared. 

I've always been fascinated by the supernatural world of ghosts, demons, and psychic abilities.  I see scary movies or scary trails as a challenge.  It's almost impossible to scare me.  Why, you ask?  Probably because I've already witnessed a million frightening, spine tingling, and unexplainable occurences throughout my life.  In the spirit of my favorite holiday I figured I'd share some of those experiences with you.  Some are good, some - not so much.

Messenger of Death
I've always had asthma, but over the years I've learned how to control it.  Before this particular night, the last asthma attack I'd had was when I was 12 years old.  When I was 20 and in my senior year of college, I went to sleep one night with thoughts of the History final I had to take the next day at 8am.  At exactly 2:37am, I woke up gasping for breath.  I automatically reached for my asthma spray, sat on the edge of my bed and fought for twenty minutes to get it under control.  It was unlike any other asthma attack - it felt more like someone had wrapped their hands around my throat.  Once my breathing was back to normal I started to lay back down and felt a slight wind brush across my face. Then my door which had been cracked, shut by itself.  After convincing myself I was seeing things, I finally went back to sleep.  The next morning before my final, Mom called to say my grandfather had died.  Several days later I found out he had died in his sleep around 2:30 in the morning.  His lungs had failed.

Seeing into the Past
While in middle school, my family moved to a house on 150 acres of land.  There was a turn-of-the-century farmhouse that stood behind our much newer house and a small pond off to the right.  One day while searching the property, my brother and I found an old family cemetary in the woods with tombstones so old and worn we couldn't even read the engravings.  We snuck into the old farmhouse several times and I came to love it's faded paint, blackened fireplaces, and creaky stairs.  Unfortunately, after several months my parents had the fire dept. burn down the old house since it was anything but safe.  That's when the strange things began happening. Our gravel driveway turned in front of our house and continued around the side.  One day after school, I was by myself and sitting at the kitchen table doing homework.  An old Model-T type car came bouncing down our driveway and past the kitchen window. 

Thinking my stepdad had brought home an antique car, I ran out the back door and around the house to the end of the driveway.  To my surprise, there was no car to be found.  I walked around the house but still found nothing.  Then I turned around towards the spot where the old farmhouse house had once stood.  The only thing that had survived the fire were the two chimneys on either side still pointing up at the sky accusingly.  Except on this particular day. When I turned, the farmhouse had reappeared.  After staring at it's wooden porch that no longer hung at an odd angle and windows adorned with lace curtains in disbelief for several moments, I closed my eyes tight and tried to calm my heart that was threatening to beat of my chest.  When I peeked through my eyelashes, only the two brick chimneys stood glaring back at me. 

Upon going back inside the house, I walked back into the kitchen where every cabinet and drawer had been opened.  I ran around frantically trying to close them, when the phone rang.  All I heard was breathing on the other end.  Close to tears, I ran into my room and locked the door until I saw my brother get off the bus from my bedroom window.  Noises, finding random objects in odd places and seeing doors open on their own continued to happen until we moved again after another year.

Next week I'll share some more spine tingling stories that will explain my fascination with all things supernatural....bwahahaha (that's my evil laugh)...stay tuned...

0 comments:

Post a Comment