Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Breathe No More

I wanted to share one of the vices I have that inspires me to no end.  It doesn't matter what time of day, how I feel, or what is going on around me for some reason Evanescence reaches down into my soul and starts juggling it like a bunch of fire batons.  For those not 'in the know' Evanescence is a band that's been around for atleast fifteen years, probably more and they are, shall I say, on the darker side.  You won't find any sunshine or pink butterflies in their songs.  You'll find yourself in their songs.  Whoa.  Deep, right?  Well brace yourself, here's more. 

I think the best writers are those who have experienced as many emotions and as many ups and downs that life has to offer.  They are able to write from the perspective of 'this is how I felt-' instead of 'this is how I think I would feel-'  But that means embracing all kinds of things about yourself that some people might not want to embrace.  They aren't the things that you want to cuddle up with or draw all over a notebook with little hearts all around them.  And those are the things that Amy Lee writes about in her songs. 

I'm not talking about the whole three songs you've ever heard on the radio, I'm talking about the ones that you kind of have to search for (I don't cause I have all four albums which my husband repeatedly tries to throw out of a moving car).  I think her songs also reach out to a younger generation that our culture has swept under the rug.  I'm not talking about grunge or the goth kids you see running around with black lipstick and black wardrobes, I'm talking about Molly down the street that comes home from soccer practice and cuts on her arms.  The same Molly who goes to school the next day in long sleeves. The girls I follow on Tumblr that take pictures of the bruises they gave themselves or the cuts they made down their thigh.  Sometimes it's good to let yourself go to that 'dark place'...you might just learn a few things about yourself... 

Below is one of the songs (poems if you will) I really like - it's called Breathe No More.  You won't hear Taylor Swift doing a cover of this anytime soon...

I've been looking in the mirror for so long
That I've come to believe my soul's on the other side
Oh, the little pieces falling, shatter
Shards of me too sharp to put back together
Too small to matter but big enough to cut me
Into so many little pieces if I try to touch her

And I bleed, I bleed
And I breathe, I breathe no more

Take a breath and I try to draw from my spirits well
Yet again you refuse to drink like a stubborn child
Lie to me, convince me that I've been sick forever
And all of this will make sense when I get better
I know the difference between myself and my reflection
I just can't help but to wonder which of us do you love

So I bleed, I bleed
And I breathe, I breathe now
Bleed, I bleed and I breathe
I breathe, I breathe, I breathe no more

1 comments:

Carrie Ann Eddleman said...

Have you ever listened to Blue October ? Justin Furstenfeld writes from the same pain & he's brilliant. He suffers from Bi Polar & depression...very few warm fuzzy songs, but all from the tormented heart. I like Evanesence too, though these days I prefer more cheery music, mostly Ella Fitzgerald & the like songs from what seems like a happier simpler time. It helps keep me on the right track. Thanks for the follow on my blog : ). Blessings-Carrie

Post a Comment