Monday, July 22, 2013

World War Z, X, and F

Just to let you guys in on an inner struggle I have, I thought I'd pour my heart out on the internet.  I have a good feeling many, many other authors feel this way, but there are many days I get extremely overwelmed.  Not so much about the actual writing part - but everything else that comes along with it!  Social media, marketing, making connections, making plans, keeping up with sales, expenses, and my to do list. 

I find myself constantly having to step back and ask myself - what is the #1 thing I want to get out of this whole author thing?  Because it's easy to take things for granted and compare yourself against everyone else (which you'll never measure up to in your own mind) and sink lower and lower until you're floating down the cry-me-a-river river without a paddle - sitting in a stinkin pile of your own self-pity.  Believe me, it's not a pretty place to be.  Yet I find myself on the edge of the cliff, peering over and wondering why I'm still climbing upward when I could just let go and fall into the abyss with no effort whatsoever.

But then I remember, this never and still isn't about 'winning' or 'money' or the number of likes I have on facebook or how many conferences I can go to.  It's much, much more personal than that.  Therein lies my problem.  Writing for me is such a release; a journey to a place inside my heart where I can't be touched by the outside world.  A place no one can ever take away from me and then sharing that place with my readers in the form of stories.  That's what it's about for me.  I'm not good at deadlines.  I'm not good at writing challenges or announcing my word count every day.  I wish I could be more like that, but my inner Gollum comes out and my preeeecious (aka: anything I write) becomes so important to me I selfishly hoard it and live in it and do the backstroke in it for weeks before I want anyone else to know about it. 

I have moments of self-doubt because regardless of my writing abilities, if I don't market myself correctly or enough, I won't progress in the industry like I hope to.  So the two sides of me are constantly in a battle of wills - one telling me to meditate and let my mind wander so those creative juices have somewhere to flow.  The other screaming at me to get on facebook! tweet on twitter! make some bookmarks! share some links! make some pretty pictures to share on said twitter and facebook!! make a storyboard on Pinterest! research book events! read other authors' blogs!  That nails-on-a-chalkboard voice (whom I picture as Betty White which raises the odd factor even further) pushes me until I'm one panic attack away from a straight jacket.  So until I can find that healthy balance, I'll likely regurgitate my worries, doubts, and inner nuclear wars for you fine people to read. 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I read this yesterday on my break and I just have to say I loved this post :) and I for one will say I truly love your books :)

StarryNightWanderer47 said...

Antalya
Antep
Burdur
Sakarya
istanbul
VS80B

EchoCyberChaser314 said...

Diyarbakır
Samsun
Antep
Kırşehir
Konya
8CTBB2

UzayGemisiPilotu46 said...

https://titandijital.com.tr/
nevşehir parça eşya taşıma
bolu parça eşya taşıma
batman parça eşya taşıma
bayburt parça eşya taşıma
D5QTZ

CosmicNomadXY123456789OIWE said...

antalya evden eve nakliyat
ankara evden eve nakliyat
bursa evden eve nakliyat
yalova evden eve nakliyat
gümüşhane evden eve nakliyat
2R1BNM

F6624DavidCDB6E said...

BAB49
Mersin Evden Eve Nakliyat
Kilis Evden Eve Nakliyat
Ordu Lojistik
Nevşehir Lojistik
Çorlu Lojistik

84644Benton072AA said...

351C8
Nevşehir Parça Eşya Taşıma
Sakarya Evden Eve Nakliyat
Mersin Lojistik
Düzce Evden Eve Nakliyat
Amasya Lojistik

5BEE6Mayra5F77A said...

7015F
Bartın Lojistik
Yozgat Lojistik
İzmir Parça Eşya Taşıma
Çanakkale Lojistik
Aksaray Parça Eşya Taşıma

28FE5Sariah480A9 said...

00CF0
Mersin Parça Eşya Taşıma
Bolu Şehirler Arası Nakliyat
Edirne Evden Eve Nakliyat
Karabük Lojistik
Kırklareli Lojistik
Iğdır Şehir İçi Nakliyat
Kars Şehirler Arası Nakliyat
Sinop Şehir İçi Nakliyat
Tunceli Evden Eve Nakliyat

8DB64Anne49880 said...

FB77F
Afyon Parça Eşya Taşıma
Kırıkkale Şehir İçi Nakliyat
Ünye Organizasyon
Kripto Para Nedir
Lunc Coin Hangi Borsada
Kastamonu Şehir İçi Nakliyat
Nevşehir Şehir İçi Nakliyat
Kars Lojistik
Kucoin Güvenilir mi

Post a Comment